Just a really quick recipe alert for anyone wanting to use the old slow cooker in this miserable winter weather.
Two of my favourite ingredients are chicken and chorizo… a winning combination. A bit like lobsters, I feel as though these two should mate for life.
This recipe freezes really well and you can make it the night before ready for the after work onslaught.
This will make enough for the two of us and a few portions for B. But you can always add a few more chicken pieces and chorizo if you’ve got a bigger slow cooker than me.
- 1 onion diced
- Splash of olive oil – don’t go too heavy as the chorizo is quite oily
- At least 2 cloves of garlic
- Pack of chicken thighs and legs – approx 3 thighs, 3 legs (Fillet won’t be great as it’ll dry out)
- Half a ring of chorizo – if you’re making for more of you then whack a whole one in – this was just my attempt at being ‘frugal’ and then hiding the remainder from my husband for another dinner. Although being frugal with chorizo is a bit ridiculous in itself.
- Tin of chopped tomatoes approx 500g
- 500ml chicken stock – go low salt if you’re sharing with the little people
- Generous splash of red wine
- Good crack of black pepper
- Sprinkle of thyme
- Squirt of tomato puree
Fry the onions off with the olive oil and garlic.
Throw in the chicken and chorizo (I had some bacon in the fridge which needed to be eaten so I chucked that in too) and brown it off.
Add the wine and let it reduce down a little.
Put all of the above into the slow cooker as well as the rest of the ingredients and give it all a good stir.
Leave it to cook for a couple of hours until the chicken is tender and delicious.
Serve it with mash, or rice depending on how much effort you want to put in and maybe some crusty bread to mop up the ‘gipper’ as our good friend Lee calls it. And then pat yourself on the back for being organised and drink some wine in the bath.
My sister is also quite the fan of this recipe, and I may have backseat cooked this with her for a date. So it’s good for dinner with friends or prospective lobsters in your life too.